Tuesday, May 28, 2013

B5496, seam finishes and notions!

Here is what I worked on Monday. It’s B5496, view C was made with modifications. I closed up the under arm seam.

For this top I cut the large based on my high bust measurements and went to an XL based on the width at the lower edge. I didn’t think I needed all that extra fluff for my size. Well needless to say this top was way to low and almost fell off my shoulders. The only way that I could save this was to insert ¼” elastic at the neck line. I also made a thin bow to give the illusion that it was a draw string type of a look.

For this I also used fabric from my stash that’s been around for at 15+ years. It could be rayon or something; I’m going to say it is rayon. I was drawn to the bright color and I love the designs in it. I should have mentioned that I am doing my own stash busting, smashing, using, and not hoarding fabric, eradicating, sewing up marathon.

I am looking to have 70-80% of my wardrobe made me. I’ve done it before in the ‘80’s but will start again…NOW!!!

I also got to use my bias tape maker. I have them in several sizes and have had them for a while but never got around to using them. I also found my rotary cutting guide. This took the guess work out of measuring. That’s also been in the draw for years, still with the plastic on it. Now all I have to do is find my rotary cutter...lol.

I felt like the bias binding queen. It was fast, easy and I love that I got to match my fabric.

For this top I accomplished a few things.

1. used 1.75 yards of fabric in my stash;

2. used some notions that I’ve never used before

3. salvaged a top that would have gone in the trash if I didn’t stop take a breather…

4. I also did french seams at the shoulder and side seams….

I am happy! This is for my cruise that I am going on in June…I will wear it with a knit skirt that I made also….

Keep on sewing!!!!

Here is the whole outfit!!


  1. Juanita, you salvaged the top really well - the elastic neckline goes with the overall soft look. Well done.